As elvers are a very typical dish in Spanish gastronomy, and even more so during the Christmas season, but they are prohibitively expensive, we propose the same dish but made with the substitute for elvers.
Surimi elvers, fake elvers or baby eels of surimi, is a product also known as gulas or anguriñas, depending on the brand that sells them.
Surimi elvers with garlic is a very easy recipe to prepare. It can also be served with other dishes such as salads, toasts, canapés or other cold dishes. And if you’re looking for a quick hot dish, all you need is a frying pan, a clove of garlic, a chilli for a spicy kick and a drizzle of olive oil to sauté them for a minute.
Baby Eels of Surimi with Garlic
- 1 Wooden spoon
- 1 Pan
- 200 grams surimi baby eels
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 chili pepper
- Olive oil extra virgin
- Put a dash of extra virgin olive oil in a non-stick frying pan and let the sliced garlic brown for 2-3 minutes.
- When the garlic is starting to brown, add the chilli, cut it into several pieces, and let it brown again for 2-3 minutes, so that the oil takes on the flavour of the ingredients.
- In the meantime, take out the packet of surimi elvers and separate them with your fingers or a wooden spoon, so that they remain loose.
- Finally, add the gulas to the frying pan and leave to cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously to prevent the surimi elvers from frying in the oil and becoming impregnated with the rest of the flavours. While they are cooking, add a pinch of salt.
- Taste it, add salt if necessary, and serve.
- BUDGET: medium-low
- DIFFICULT: extremely easy
Answering some questions…
No, they are not the same. Angulas is the name given to the fry of the eel, the only eel fry, by the way, that is allowed to be fished by fishing laws. Angulas are therefore the product taken directly from the sea. Gulas, on the other hand, is a product that is made from other products and imitates the angulas.
Gulas are an elver substitute product made from pressed fish. It is composed of a mince of certain fish with vegetable oils, egg white, soya protein, flavourings, etc.
Yes, they are. Many people distrust this product when they know what they are made of. But its ingredients are really healthy, and it is a product of high nutritional value, loaded with protein and very little fat.