Onion rings are very popular in the United States, but nowadays they can be eaten in any fast food restaurant in the world. However, when prepared at home, this snack is not always as crispy and tasty as desired. That is why we bring you this recipe, that can be prepared easily and with ingredients that can be found easily in every kitchen.
With this recipe you will obtain a very crispy onion rings that will become the perfect appetizers for any occasion. So delicious that you will run the risk of overshadowing the main course of the meal. And do not forget to check the recommendations section to find out which sauce will suite the best.
- 2 large onions
- 150 grams whole wheat flour
- 1 large egg
- 200 grams breadcrumbs
- 250 ml milk
- Oil for frying
- Ground black peppercorn
- Cut the onions into thick slices and separate them carefully without breaking the rings.
- Pour the flour and a teaspoon of salt into a bowl. Then, little by little, pass the onion slices through this bowl to mix them with the flour and then reserve them on a plate for later. If you find the onion flavor too strong, you can lower it by first dipping the onion slices in salted water for at least 10 minutes.
- In a second bowl, beat the egg together with the milk and a pinch of black pepper until you get a homogeneous mixture.
- Add this last mixture of milk and egg in the bowl along with the flour and beat with a hand mixer until everything is well mixed.
- Put a normal skillet or a wok pan over medium heat with enough oil to cover the onion rings. Meanwhile, fill a bowl with breadcrumbs to prepare the fry.
- When the oil is hot, dip the onion rings in the egg, milk, and flour mixture, then roll them over with the breadcrumbs. Next, fry them in the pan for a couple of minutes, until they are brown and crisp on both sides.
- Repeat this last step for all the rest of the onion rings. Place the ones that are already brown on a plate with several layers of absorbent paper or kitchen paper, to remove excess oil.
- DIFFICULTY: easy
- BUDGET: low
The onion rings are delicious when eaten by themselves. But they can also be eaten accompanied with different sauces. The best ones to eat the rings are the barbecue sauce and the ali-oli sauce (mayonnaise with garlic and parsley).