Natural yogurt can be enjoyed alone or accompanied by a thousand and one ways. In addition, it provides a lot of health benefits. Making yogurt at home so simple that it is worth investing a little time in it. You will fall in love with its flavor and you will save money.
Most experts agree on locating the origin of this product in Turkey. In fact, its name comes from the Turkish term yoğurt. Its preparation is so simple that it only requires two main ingredients: milk and lactic ferments. However, most of the yogurts that we can find in supermarkets usually have chemicals to enhance their flavor and increase their natural expiration date, but they are not good for the body. Therefore, making homemade yogurt is more beneficial for health. In addition, you can customize it to your liking, adding other foods such as honey, all kinds of fruit, cereals and / or nuts.
Among the main benefits of yogurt it can be highlighted that it is a source of proteins, essential to develop the muscles, and a source of calcium, which is essential to maintain good health in bones and strong teeth. In addition, a yogurt contains millions of probiotic bacteria that help maintain a healthy digestive system, a strong immune system and act as a protector for the stomach. And it’s a low-fat product.
- 1 liter whole milk fresh
- 1 yogurt
- Pour the fresh milk in a pot and heat it over medium-high heat until it reaches a temperature of 90 – 100 degrees. Boiling fresh milk at that temperature kills microbes that are bad for human health and allows you to drink it safely. Of course, in this process we are not loosing its nutritional properties. If the milk is not fresh or has already been pasteurized, skip this step.1 liter whole milk
- Immediately after you reach that temperature remove the pot from the heat. Then wait until the temperature goes down to 45 – 50 degrees.1 liter whole milk
- Mix the milk with the yogurt smoothly using a whisk.1 liter whole milk, 1 yogurt
- While the mix is still warm (around 40 – 48 degrees) distribute it into different glass containers of around 125 – 180 grams. Then cover the glasses with a lid or a plastic wrap.
- Now it comes the most important part of the recipe. You have to make sure that the yogurts rest in a warm place where a minimum temperature of around 40 degrees is maintained for around 8 – 12 hours. The yogurt needs at least 8 hours to ferment, and it helps if it rests in a dark and dry place. To achieve that, you can either use a yogurt maker or leave them inside the oven after having heated it for a while (at maximum 50 degrees of course). You can also leave them in the warmest place of your house and cover them with a couple of blankets to ensure the desired conditions (warm temperature, and a dark and dry place).
- After this time you can put the yogurts inside the fridge and wait for them to cool down for a couple of hours before they are ready to serve.
- DIFFICULTY: extremely easy
- BUDGET: low