This bread with tomato and oil, also known as “pa amb tomàquet”, “pa amb oil” or “pan tumaca” in Catalan language, is a traditional recipe originated in the Spanish Mediterranean coast. Although it is generally prepared for breakfast, it is also served at the start of a meal, as a side dish, as a dessert or as a snack. And it is as delicious as healthy.
Fortunately, the recipe is quite easy to replicate, as it only requires little time and a few ingredients. But it is crucial that these ingredients are of highest possible quality: ripe tomato of intense flavor, virgin olive oil and toasted crusty bread. In addition, a complete Spanish traditional breakfast would also start with a freshly squeezed orange juice and would also be accompanied by a milk coffee.
Bread with Tomato and Olive Oil
- 1 Box grater
- 1 Knife
- 3 slices bread
- 1 tomato medium-sized
- Olive oil extra virgin
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt to taste
- Ham preferably Iberian ham (optional)
- Wash well the tomato, dry it, cut it in half and grate it with a box grater. It is also possible to crush it with a mixer, but the tomato retains its properties better without being crushed energetically. Reserve in a bowl.
- Toast the bread slices in the oven, on a toaster or in a grill until they turn brown a are crusty.
- Meanwhile, add a tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt to the grated tomato and stir a little bit.
- Pour another splash of olive oil on the toasts.
- Cut the clove of garlic in half and rub it on the bread slices. The recently poured olive oil will help absorving the flavour of the garlic.
- Finally, spread the grated tomato over the slices of toasted bread.
- Optionally, you can top the dish with a thin slice of ham.
- BUGET: low
- DIFFICULTY: very easy
Details of this bread with tomato and olive oil recipe for 2 – 3 people.